Sunday 15 July 2012

Bunny Boiler: Marie, Southampton.

Dear Aunt Maudlyn,

My pet rabbit Lady Frances Hollingsworth died yesterday. She was very old, but I miss her very much.
Could you offer some advice on how I can feel better about her passing?

Love

Marie, aged 10.
______________________________________________________

Dear Marie,

Though you haven’t stated the cause of death, you should feel very grateful that she lived to a ripe old age. If I had been given such a hideous name, I’m sure I’d have committed suicide before even reaching adulthood.
Personally, I haven’t had much experience with rabbits – though our Tony often used to poach them, from the neighbours hutches, for me to cook in a nice stew. Having known the delicious taste of rabbit meat, the only thing that I could plausibly suggest is that you help your mother to skin the carcass, dice the flesh and then boil it with mixed vegetables in order to make practical use of what is left of Lady Frances Hollingsworth.
While it won’t bring her back, the delicious flavours may make you feel somewhat better about her passing.

Love,

Aunt Maudlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment